The latest assignment for my library technology class was to create a book trailer using an online video editing device. I choose One True Media as my editor. And "A Ranger's Guide to Day Hiking in Yellowstone" by Roger Anderson & Carol Shively Anderson for the trailer. This particular guide book is one of my favorites. Last summer we spent 4 days hiking 30 miles in Yellowstone - all hikes from this particular book. We found it to be amazingly accurate, right down to the "turn at the burned tree" and 3-4 hour hikes taking exactly 3.5 hours with picture breaks.
Anderson, R. & C.S. Anderson (2005). A Ranger's Guide to Yellowstone Day Hikes. Helena: Farcountry Press.
One True Media was easy to use. Upload images/video, upload music (or use the in house music), change the order and viola. However, I wanted to add captions to make the video a little more understandable, and that's a "premium" option. So I decided to splurge and get a month subscription for $3.99 and be able to add text screens and captions. I think it adds to the project and since we didn't have a text this semester I could afford to splurge a little :) While One True Media is adequate many of the cool features are under the premium, which makes sense but would be somewhat frustrating for students. They allow the creator to edit with all the premium things, but they are taken out of the video before sharing.
I used the in house music provided by One True Media. I choose to use rap first just to clash with the theme of YNP. The bird chirp marks as a transition to nature and getting out of the crazy urban world. And then folk for the part highlighting the features of the book because the tune is relaxing and unassuming. The images are my family's with the exception of the book cover which obviously the publisher created.
I tried out several other video editing sites including: Animito, XtraNormal and one other that I can't remember the name. Each definitely has its pros and cons. I really wanted to use XtraNormal - however, it does not allow images to be added to the video (instead you create a script and use the characters and settings that they have) so it wouldn't really work for this assignment. But it was fun to play nonetheless.
The other really cool site I explored was Voice Threads. I love it!!! I had to share with colleagues who are now trying to figure out how to best incorporate the site. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Truly innovative Web 2.0.
http://tiny.cc/cs1nl
Is tech an amplifier or a crutch?
4 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment